In a speech for the ages, John Major slams the Brexit demagogues

jeanV

In a speech for the ages, John Major slams the Brexit demagogues

Post by jeanV » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:32 pm

While Maggie was very good at self promotion, John Major was quietly getting much more done.

He just lambasted the Brexit demagogues in a fantastic lamento over that historic mistake.

Read and repent for your sins, mikgof.

:evil:
John Major, perhaps the only living former British prime minister who enjoys some semblance of a good reputation, summed up the problem with a speech in London this week. After Brexit, Britain will be a “middle-sized, middle-ranking nation that is no longer supercharged by its alliances,” he told the audience. “Suddenly, the world will be a little chillier.”

Benedict Arnold Trump is a conceited idiot: Lock him up!!

Mikgof

Re: In a speech for the ages, John Major slams the Brexit demagogues

Post by Mikgof » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:03 pm

John Major is easily the best and also most underrated post-war PM that we have had. It was Major who after the excesses of Thatcherism. I.E.the doubling of national debt, squandering of the North Sea Oil tax bonanza and proceeds from privatizations, along with an increase in the size and power of the state whilst simultaneously slashing spending on education, infrastructure, and science, who got government finances back on a sound footing. We could do with him running the country today.

Apart from the obvious disadvantages of Brexit, another of Thatcher's cockups will come to haunt us and cripple us in the future. That is her slashing of our science R&D budget. That has since been improved through EU funding. That will disappear and we'll be back to where we were 30 years ago. Unfortunately, the social media hooked electorate aren't impressed with the idea of increasing our basic research budget. They're more interested in revealing every aspect of their increasingly puerile lives and not the future of their children and grandchildren.
Surrealism is the new normal

Mikgof

Post by Mikgof » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:07 pm

jeanV wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:32 pm

While Maggie was very good at self promotion, John Major was quietly getting much more done.

He just lambasted the Brexit demagogues in a fantastic lamento over that historic mistake.

Read and repent for your sins, mikgof.

:evil:
John Major, perhaps the only living former British prime minister who enjoys some semblance of a good reputation, summed up the problem with a speech in London this week. After Brexit, Britain will be a “middle-sized, middle-ranking nation that is no longer supercharged by its alliances,” he told the audience. “Suddenly, the world will be a little chillier.”

Yes, I repent. A bit late in the day though. We'll just have to make the best of it. Sadly, those charged with this task seem incredibly inept at it. Their only saving grace is that the alternative, Boris Johnson and Co are even more incompetent.

Soft Arrogance

Post by Soft Arrogance » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:35 pm

At last a Wise Brit!
The mind is like an iceberg, it floats with one-seventh of its bulk above water.

Ami Bidasse

Post by Ami Bidasse » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:23 pm

Soft Arrogance wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:35 pm
At last a Wise Brit!
Aux chiottes l'Europe du Merdeux Jupiter !
Win the “yes” needs the “no” to win against the “no” !

Soft Arrogance

Post by Soft Arrogance » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:58 pm

Jupiter is a filthy pig he wants "Uranus"! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The mind is like an iceberg, it floats with one-seventh of its bulk above water.

jeanV

Post by jeanV » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:45 pm

Mikgof wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:07 pm
Yes, I repent.

Ego te absolvo, figlio mio.

Benedict Arnold Trump is a conceited idiot: Lock him up!!

WilyB

Post by WilyB » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:33 am

No BREXIT, BRINO, BREXIT? I understand some French may be Anglophobes and some Brits may be Gallophobes, I understand the political and the economic backgrounds, I understand the disgust about the Brussels bureaucrats etc.

My concern is that France and the UK represent together about half Western Europe’s military effort. A hard no-deal BREXIT would be very detrimental to Western Europe’s security, and by extension, to the security of the Western world.

So while I do not care about the options BRINO or BREXIT, make sure to avoid a hard no-deal BREXIT.
Lots of guys watch Bruce Lee movies, doesn’t mean you can do karate.

Mikgof

Post by Mikgof » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:02 pm

WilyB wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:33 am
No BREXIT, BRINO, BREXIT? I understand some French may be Anglophobes and some Brits may be Gallophobes, I understand the political and the economic backgrounds, I understand the disgust about the Brussels bureaucrats etc.

My concern is that France and the UK represent together about half Western Europe’s military effort. A hard no-deal BREXIT would be very detrimental to Western Europe’s security, and by extension, to the security of the Western world.

So while I do not care about the options BRINO or BREXIT, make sure to avoid a hard no-deal BREXIT.
I doubt whether a hard Brexit will prevent Anglo-French military cooperation. If anything now that America is out of the game Pan European defence cooperation is increasing regardless of Brexit. Whether we're in or out of the EU Russia is still our main adversary.

Trump should be thanked for that. Whatever his reasons, Europe is finally basing it's defence on reality rather than wishful thinking, making us all safer as a result.

And we will avoid a hard Brexit anyway. Absolutely no point in leaving the worlds biggest market if we're going to be left out of it. We'll end up officially out of the EU but still be bound by all their rules in the worst case scenario and still paying for the privilege.

Slappy

Post by Slappy » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:03 pm

IT doesnt really matter

as Jupiter proclaims you shall be joined /erased with and by Afreaka......and asian middle eastern assorted ugly fucking dumb ass no good produce NOTHING brown types of peoples

rivers of blood and mountains of bodies in europe coming sooner or later

Third times a fucking charm
YAnkee Stay home

Mikgof

Post by Mikgof » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:34 pm

"YAnkee Stay home"

But that was what you were going to do all along, as the Falklands war proved beyond all possible doubt. Only congenital idiots ever believed that America would have our back in the event of war. I've long knocked Trump but at least he was honest enough to state the bleeding obvious. And we're all much safer as a result. Our national defence is no longer based upon a fairy tale.

Slappy

Post by Slappy » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:48 pm

The brits bitched
the argies bitched for their own reasons as in what about Monroe

Not the same

Why should American boys die for your own authoritarian countries suicide ?
France and the UKs

Passengers Thwart Deportation of Somali Gang Rapist From UK
DAN LYMAN OCTOBER 15, 2018

Passengers aboard a Turkish Airlines flight at Heathrow Airport aided a convicted Somali gang rapist in avoiding imminent deportation.

The Somali national, identified as Ahmed, was being removed from the UK by authorities after having been convicted in the brutal gang rape of a 16-year-old girl, according to the Daily Mail, when he began screaming that he was being separated from his family.

“Take him off the plane,” passengers can be heard demanding of officials, with some interceding on the criminal’s behalf, and others voicing concerns for their own safety and travel schedule.

“He’s going to Mogadishu and they’re going to kill him,” one man yells aggressively at Ahmed's handlers. “He’s going to die. Definitely they are going to kill him.”

An officer approaches the outraged mob to inform them that he’s simply ‘doing his job.’

“I don’t make the rules, I just carry them out,” the officer says. “Everyone’s fine. How many of you have got children or little babies? How many of them scream? Do you all get scared when they scream?”

After passengers continue to protest, the man is eventually taken off the plane as some clap.

“You’re a free man!” one man can be heard calling after the Somali while another passenger offers praise in Arabic.

The Daily Mail has divulged details of the man's crimes, also revealing that one of his accomplices later went on to fight with ISIS.

"Today The Mail on Sunday can reveal how Ahmed and three other youths preyed on a 16-year-old stranger after she became separated from her friends during a night out in London’s Leicester Square, in August 2007."

"In a planned attack, they lured her back to a flat in Crouch End, North London, by pretending her friends were waiting for her there – then gang-raped her."

"Ahmed, 18 at the time of the rape and living in Clerkenwell, North London, is thought to have been granted refugee status after arriving in Britain from war-torn Somalia as a boy."

The incident comes after similar episodes in Sweden and Finland this summer, where activists protested deportations while aboard flights by refusing to take their seats prior to takeoff.

Elin Ersson, a Swedish student, was the first to attempt the stunt, successfully delaying the removal of an Afghan ‘asylum seeker’ who had served nine months in prison after being convicted of assault upon his own wife and daughters, whom he had reportedly whipped and abused.

Mikgof

Post by Mikgof » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:13 pm

Slappy wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:48 pm
The brits bitched
the argies bitched for their own reasons as in what about Monroe

Not the same

The Falkland Island was a clear breach of international law. It was literally a no-brainer. International relations are rarely this clear cut. You were either with us or against us regardless of any doctrine. You opted to sit on the fence.

I'm not even knocking America here. America decided not to support a country who according to the propaganda was your most reliable "ally". And we're not even talking about military support, just diplomatic. You chose not to. Fair enough. Countries pursue their own interests but to continue to pretend that we are allies afterwards is absurd, ridiculous and so far removed from reality as to beggar belief. And our politicians for whatever reason played along with the lie. At least with Trump, our defence is now based on reality and not lies.

This benefits Britain, Europe and America. Britain and Europe has finally a realistic defence posture while America can drastically cut its defence budget. Pointless having all those weapon systems sitting around if they're never going to be used in support of your NATO "allies." You can halve your defence budget while still having twice the military clout of your nearest rival, China.