Gorge F. Will: Vote against the GOP this November

jeanV

Gorge F. Will: Vote against the GOP this November

Post by jeanV » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:06 am

Amid the carnage of Republican misrule in Washington, there is this glimmer of good news: The family-shredding policy along the southern border, the most telegenic recent example of misrule, clarified something. Occurring less than 140 days before elections that can reshape Congress, the policy has given independents and temperate Republicans — these are probably expanding and contracting cohorts, respectively — fresh if redundant evidence for the principle by which they should vote.

The principle: The congressional Republican caucuses must be substantially reduced. So substantially that their remnants, reduced to minorities, will be stripped of the Constitution’s Article I powers that they have been too invertebrate to use against the current wielder of Article II powers. They will then have leisure time to wonder why they worked so hard to achieve membership in a legislature whose unexercised muscles have atrophied because of people like them.

Consider the melancholy example of House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (Wis.), who wagered his dignity on the patently false proposition that it is possible to have sustained transactions with today’s president, this Vesuvius of mendacities, without being degraded. In Robert Bolt’s play “A Man for All Seasons,” Thomas More, having angered Henry VIII, is on trial for his life. When Richard Rich, whom More had once mentored, commits perjury against More in exchange for the office of attorney general for Wales, More says: “Why, Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world . . . But for Wales!” Ryan traded his political soul for . . . a tax cut. He who formerly spoke truths about the accelerating crisis of the entitlement system lost everything in the service of a president pledged to preserve the unsustainable status quo.

Ryan and many other Republicans have become the president’s poodles, not because James Madison’s system has failed but because today’s abject careerists have failed to be worthy of it. As explained in Federalist 51: “Ambition must be made to counteract ambition. The interest of the man must be connected with the constitutional rights of the place.” Congressional Republicans (congressional Democrats are equally supine toward Democratic presidents) have no higher ambition than to placate this president. By leaving dormant the powers inherent in their institution, they vitiate the Constitution’s vital principle: the separation of powers.

Recently Sen. Bob Corker, the Tennessee Republican who is retiring , became an exception that illuminates the depressing rule. He proposed a measure by which Congress could retrieve a small portion of the policymaking power that it has, over many decades and under both parties, improvidently delegated to presidents. Congress has done this out of sloth and timidity — to duck hard work and risky choices. Corker’s measure would have required Congress to vote to approve any trade restrictions imposed in the name of “national security.” All Senate Republicans worthy of the conservative label that all Senate Republicans flaunt would privately admit that this is conducive to sound governance and true to the Constitution’s structure. But the Senate would not vote on it — would not allow it to become just the second amendment voted on this year .

This is because the amendment would have peeved the easily peeved president. The Republican-controlled Congress, which waited for Trump to undo by unilateral decree the border folly they could have prevented by actually legislating, is an advertisement for the unimportance of Republican control.

The Trump whisperer regarding immigration is Stephen Miller, 32, whose ascent to eminence began when he became the Savonarola of Santa Monica High School . Corey Lewandowski, a Trump campaign official who fell from the king’s grace but is crawling back (he works for Vice President Pence’s political action committee), recently responded on Fox News to the story of a 10-year-old girl with Down syndrome taken from her parents at the border. Lewandowski replied: “Wah, wah.” Meaningless noise is this administration’s appropriate libretto because, just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump attracts, and is attracted to, louts.

In today’s GOP, which is the president’s plaything, he is the mainstream. So, to vote against his party’s cowering congressional caucuses is to affirm the nation’s honor while quarantining him. A Democratic-controlled Congress would be a basket of deplorables, but there would be enough Republicans to gum up the Senate’s machinery, keeping the institution as peripheral as it has been under their control and asphyxiating mischief from a Democratic House. And to those who say, “But the judges, the judges!” the answer is: Article III institutions are not more important than those of Articles I and II combined.
Benedict Arnold Trump is a conceited idiot: Lock him up!!

Mikgof

Re: Gorge F. Will: Vote against the GOP this November

Post by Mikgof » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:52 am

Will is a Rhino.

Retard

Is

Not

Ours
Surrealism is the new normal

jeanV

Post by jeanV » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:04 am

Mikgof wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:52 am
Will is a Rhino. Retard Is Not Ours
Evil spirit of frum (or Fryer; or Richard; or whoever knows who else)

leave the body of poor, innocent mikgof,

I command thee.

WilyB

Post by WilyB » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:10 am

Lots of guys watch Bruce Lee movies, doesn’t mean you can do karate.

PistolPierre

Post by PistolPierre » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:08 am

So George and the never Trumpers are mostly pissed about Trump's apathy so far to debt and entitlements and his paying lip service to those GOP voters without money.

It's simply the challenge to the GOP status quo that pisses off the Never Trumpers.

How else did they ever expect to win without such a change?

Prima donnas should try pizza delivery.

Mikgof

Post by Mikgof » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:58 am

jeanV wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:04 am
Mikgof wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:52 am
Will is a Rhino. Retard Is Not Ours
Evil spirit of frum (or Fryer; or Richard; or whoever knows who else)

leave the body of poor, innocent mikgof,

I command thee.

Don't worry. My soul is intact. It's just that any Republican that can read a book these days is automatically labelled a RINO. I just thought that I'd preempt any Trumpists that were shaken to their very core by anyone who had the audacity to not only read books but write them as well. Illiteracy is the new intelligentsia along with the inability to use a spellchecker. Idiocracy actually was a documentary.
Attachments
idiocracy.png
idiocracy.png (206.72 KiB) Viewed 367 times

Slappy

Post by Slappy » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:25 pm

I thought he was dead

HE did kill his career in 2016 :lol:

I was there man I was there

in the shit and stirring it with like 10 others

The neo cons firmly backj in the democratic camp WHERE THEY BELONG

jeanV

Post by jeanV » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:33 pm

Slappy wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:25 pm
The neo cons firmly backj in the democratic camp WHERE THEY BELONG
Except that Will has always been a pro market, pro trade Republican.

Unlike a certain snake oil salesman demagogue whose mendacious blusters are embarassing.

Donald Trump: "I Identify More as a Democrat".

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:59 pm

Will voted for Felonia Milhous von Pantsuit in 2016. Irrelevant “news” wot.

Fortunately, you have no vote on Antiseptic Island.

Last week was especially glorious not just because we rejected the latest GOPe amnesty scheme, not just because we defunded the left's union cash extortion machine with the Janus decision, and not just because Justice Kennedy is leaving to be the swing vote on his retirement community HOA. It was especially glorious because these enormous victories -- these latest enormous victories --were the direct result of normal Americans giving the gimps, grifters, and geebos of Never Trump the George Costanza treatment by doing precisely the opposite of our alleged betters’ political instincts.
Everything they told us was wrong. If we had done what they demanded, we would not be revelling in the joy of conserva-victory. We would be resigned to yet another defeat. "But Gorsuch" indeed, you never-been-kissed band of losers.

If we had listened to Never Trump, we'd have voted for Felonia Milhous von Pantsuit and we would not only have Merrick Garland (or worse) on the SCOTUS but now she’d be picking another pinko who agrees with the lib bloc that the First Amendment has hitherto unknown asterisks that prevent conservatives from using it, that a bunch of other rights that aren’t in the Constitution actually are, and that the Second Amendment stuff about not infringing on our right to keep and bear arms really means libs can totally infringe on our right to keep and bear arms. Let’s leave aside our booming economy and crushing ISIS and pulling out of the climate scam and maybe peace with North Korea. Just these two Supreme Court picks makes Trump the most important and successful conservative president since The Big R. And we wouldn’t have any of it if that nattering pack of insufferable sissies had had their way.

But even today, this dwindling band of bow-tied nimrods still whine despite these manifest conservative triumphs. And their numbers grow fewer as the evidence grows in support of an undeniable conclusion: The election of Donald Trump was a conservative triumph of a magnitude we are only beginning to fully appreciate.
I am Pope John V

Kiss my ruby slippers

jeanV

Post by jeanV » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:45 pm

JohnB wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:59 pm
Will voted for Felonia Milhous von Pantsuit in 2016. Irrelevant “news” wot.
In other 'irrelevant "news"', I was a subscriber to Newsweek for some 20 years+.
Will was a columnist for most of that time.
Then they switched to Zakaria, and I cancelled my subscription.

In other words, I'm a Romney/George F Will Republican.

Like him, I voted for the old leftie Wall St.-owned hag over Russian-bought Dem Donnie.

The more patriotic move, you know?

:P
JohnB wrote:
Fortunately, you have no vote on Antiseptic Island.
But I do influence others here. Really :P

And I'm happy to report I led many to vote for the PAP (true story).

:geek:
JohnB wrote:
Last week was especially glorious not just because we rejected the latest GOPe amnesty scheme, not just because we defunded the left's union cash extortion machine with the Janus decision, and not just because Justice Kenneblah blah blah blah
The crap article you quoted is titled: Never Trumpers Suffer Yet Another Utter Humiliation.

Which is a lark.

Where's the humiliation in taking stock of the fact baby Donnie failed at everything?

- no change to the Obama recovery employment curve trends
- despite 1.5 trillion of additional debt to finance tax cuts on deficit
- fucked by baby Kim over nukes, going to lick Putin's balls in Helsinki, Russian mafia owned

Woe, the humiliation of noting that the emperor has no clothes.

:lol:

Mikgof

Post by Mikgof » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:51 am

jeanV wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:45 pm
fucked by baby Kim over nukes, going to lick Putin's balls in Helsinki, Russian mafia owned

I wonder what exactly will Trump give Putin? He gave Kim more than he really expected. And this was to someone who he was calling names 6 months ago. He's never had an unkind word for Putin. How much extra will he give to his good friend Putin? A ban on all US ships going to sea, joint control of the US nuclear arsenal? Just 6 weeks ago that would have been considered ridiculous off the wall hyperbole; since North Korea, who knows? Probably not that extreme, but after NK, Putin knows that whatever Trump gives him doesn't have to be rewarded with actual concessions.

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:14 am

I was a subscriber to Newsweek for some 20 years+.
That explains a lot.
I am Pope John V

Kiss my ruby slippers

Mikgof

Post by Mikgof » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:45 am

Mikgof wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:51 am
jeanV wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:45 pm
fucked by baby Kim over nukes, going to lick Putin's balls in Helsinki, Russian mafia owned

I wonder what exactly will Trump give Putin? He gave Kim more than he really expected. And this was to someone who he was calling names 6 months ago. He's never had an unkind word for Putin. How much extra will he give to his good friend Putin? A ban on all US ships going to sea, joint control of the US nuclear arsenal? Just 6 weeks ago that would have been considered ridiculous off the wall hyperbole; since North Korea, who knows? Probably not that extreme, but after NK, Putin knows that whatever Trump gives him doesn't have to be rewarded with actual concessions.
I missed the bleeding obvious. Trump will do what he more or less promised during his campaign. Take America out of NATO. That would appear to be Putin's top wish. There isn't much else realistically that Trump can give him. Anything stronger than that and even the Congress might rebel.

He has already conceded the Crimea to Russia. I think that it will backfire on Russia though. With this, the Western worlds defence would finally be based upon reality rather than the present wishful thinking.

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:38 am

JeanV:
In other words, I'm a Romney Republican.

I am Pope John V

Kiss my ruby slippers