Losing again (1): baby Donnie's train wreck of a foreign policy

jeanV

Losing again (1): baby Donnie's train wreck of a foreign policy

Post by jeanV » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:36 am

• Making the US largest ally, the EU, hate the guts of the US? Check.

• Making the population of the new hyperpower hate the guts of the US? Check.

• Making all Asian allies of the US doubt the value of its commitment to anything? Check.

• Grovelling at the feet of an adversarial power, Russia, siding it against the FBI and CIA? Check.

Oh, well... :roll:
Trump’s foreign policy has devolved into chaos

(..) The NK negotiations are a fiasco (..)

The administration’s foreign policy is now a scattershot mess of improvised initiatives, some aimed at real problems, some not. Big challenges (..) are all but ignored. Eccentric follies, such as the cold war with Canada, take center stage.

Bob Woodward’s new book depicts Trump’s top advisers working to save the country from his worst ideas, sometimes by snatching papers off his desk. But that’s a better description of 2017 than now. The aides who did that snatching — Gary Cohn, Rex Tillerson, H.R. McMaster — are mostly gone, replaced by a new crew content to allow Trump to indulge his most powerful compulsions. So we have trade wars driven by Trump’s ignorance of elementary economics and vindictive campaigns to punish close allies — such as Justin Trudeau of Canada and Angela Merkel of Germany — for the president’s seething personal resentments.

The silver lining is that Pompeo and Defense Secretary Jim Mattis are allowed, for now, to pursue some relatively sensible and conventional policies that contradict Trump’s viscera. (..) The only problem is that Trump could reassert himself at any time and pull the plug.

This makes the work of a Trump national security functionary sound pretty dreary, and no doubt it is. But there are perks: In this, as in no other administration, it is possible for anonymous “senior officials” to pursue their own causes. (..)

First came an assault on the Palestinian movement, with U.S. funding canceled for U.N.-run schools and health clinics in the Gaza Strip (..) Apparently Jared Kushner and Jason Greenblatt, real estate developers turned would-be Middle East peace brokers, believe squeezing the Palestinians will induce them to be more reasonable, (..) Longtime veterans of Mideast diplomacy will tell you the opposite result is far more likely (..)

Even more striking was the relaunch by national security adviser John Bolton of his decades-long pursuit of his personal white whale, the International Criminal Court. (..)

The next day, reporters asked State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert to explain how the United States could legally prosecute international lawyers and judges. She repeatedly refused even to try. (..)

State can’t explain the new ICC policy any more than it can say why we are starving the Palestinians and crusading against Canada.

It’s the norm of an administration that has substituted chaos for coherent foreign policy.
Benedict Arnold Trump is a conceited idiot: Lock him up!!

Mikgof

Re: Losing again: baby Donnie's train wreck of a foreign policy

Post by Mikgof » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:25 am

"Eccentric follies, such as the cold war with Canada, take center stage."

That's is what I love about Trump. He's always been a wimp. That is why he picks on the least offensive country in the world. And he has totally fucked up the world order, in which America was dominant, big time. Long may he reign.
Surrealism is the new normal

jeanV

Post by jeanV » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:03 pm

Mikgof wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:25 am
That's is what I love about Trump. He's always been a wimp. That is why he picks on the least offensive country in the world. And he has totally fucked up the world order, in which America was dominant, big time. Long may he reign.
Though I often agree with you on analysis, I must say I dislike your standpoint.

"Long may he reign"? You really, positively hate America.

Wishing more of the harm Trump does to the US.

:oops:

Mikgof

Post by Mikgof » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:45 pm

jeanV wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:03 pm
Mikgof wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:25 am
Though I often agree with you on analysis, I must say I dislike your standpoint.

"Long may he reign"? You really, positively hate America.

Wishing more of the harm Trump does to the US.

:oops:
I'm just supporting what the American electorate voluntarily voted for. You can talk of Russian interference but at the end of the day, they consciously voted for him. Russia didn't compel them to vote for Trump.

jeanV

Post by jeanV » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:47 pm

Mikgof wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:45 pm
I'm just supporting what the American electorate voluntarily voted for.
... at the end of the day, they consciously voted for him.
Russia didn't compel them to vote for Trump.
Russia's disclosure of the DNC analytics helped Trump's campaign reorganize their plans.

The equivalent of a robot peeking when playing battleships:

Add to it someone saying you should skip a few turns or news cycles.

Mikgof

Post by Mikgof » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:34 pm

jeanV wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:47 pm
Mikgof wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:45 pm
I'm just supporting what the American electorate voluntarily voted for.
... at the end of the day, they consciously voted for him.
Russia didn't compel them to vote for Trump.
Russia's disclosure of the DNC analytics helped Trump's campaign reorganize their plans.

The equivalent of a robot peeking when playing battleships:

Add to it someone saying you should skip a few turns or news cycles.

All true but at the end of the day, they consciously voted for a retard, knowing him to be a retard. Clinton might have been a bad candidate but at least she can read and write and more importantly comprehend what she was reading.