Joey chestnut loves hot dogs too

ranavirus

Joey chestnut loves hot dogs too

Post by ranavirus » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:25 am

Joey Chestnut, the No. 1 competitive eater in the world, still isn’t exactly sure how he broke his own record last summer — eating 74 hot dogs (and buns) in just 10 minutes at the annual Nathan’s Famous Hot Dog Eating Contest.
“I just found a rhythm,” Chestnut, 35, told The Post. (His previous record, set in 2017, was 72 dogs.) “It’s almost like being a marathon runner. You hit a stride and just go with it.”
An estimated 40,000 people, many of them wearing foam hot-dog hats, will descend on the Coney Island boardwalk this Fourth of July to see if Chestnut can do it again. Crowds could be especially big because of a documentary, “The Good, the Bad, the Hungry,” which makes its television premiere Tuesday on ESPN and focuses on the old rivalry between Chestnut and former Nathan’s speed-eating superstar Takeru Kobayashi.
George Shea, who has run the competition since 1991, is as surprised as anybody that the annual event grew into a national phenomenon.
“I’m a man of zero vision,” he says. “In the beginning, any business person would’ve looked at this and said, ‘You are insane. You’re gonna lose so much money!’ ”
Just the opposite happened. The Nathan’s contest now has sponsorships from brands including Coca-Cola, Netflix, Pepto-Bismol, Old Navy and Heinz. Since 2004, it’s aired exclusively on ESPN — the one-hour telecast starts at noon Eastern time Saturday — with just over 1 million viewers tuning in last year.
Participant Geoffrey Esper, a 44-year-old from Oxford, Mass., who has been a competitive eater since 2014, feels the pressure of the increasingly high-stakes contest.
“I was really disappointed with my results last year,” says the high-school teacher, who’s also the No. 3-ranked competitive eater in the world. “I should have done way better.” He came in fourth last year, consuming just 41 hot dogs. “I think I fasted too long before the contest,” he says. “And I got myself too tired.”
The contest is more grueling than outsiders may realize, Esper tells The Post. “It’s not like Thanksgiving dinner, where you eat till you get full,” he says. “You eat till you’re full and then you keep eating. And eating. And then you eat some more. And some more.”
The origins of the Nathan’s Hot Dog Eating Contest vary, depending on who you ask.
teach 1/2er to light a match , he'll learn to be warm
set fire to 1/2er he'll never be cold again

ThePussyBone4

Re: Joey chestnut loves hot dogs too

Post by ThePussyBone4 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:31 pm

The origins of the Nathan’s Hot Dog Eating Contest vary, depending on who you ask.

I believe it was an old tradition of the French, begun with German coqs.

Powlett-Jones

Post by Powlett-Jones » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:31 pm

Attachments
hotdogw.jpg

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:59 pm

I am Pope John V

Kiss my ruby slippers

John Frum